Finedon is a civil parish and village in the Borough of Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, with a population at the 2001 census of 4,188 people. Along with Wellingborough, it is twinned with Wittlich, Germany, and Niort, France. In 1086 when the Domesday Book was completed, Finedon was a large royal manor, previously held by Queen Edith. At this time the village was known as Tingdene, which originates from the Old English words þing meaning assembly or meeting and Denu meaning valley or vale. Tingdene and the later version, Thingdon, were used until the early nineteenth century until finally Finedon became the commonly accepted version, both in written format as well as in pronunciation. The importance of Finedon at the time of the Domesday Book is clear, as with a population of 102 it was one of only four towns listed with a population greater than 50 in Northamptonshire – the others being Northampton, Brackley, and Rushton.
The Bell Inn also claims to be listed in the Domesday Book, but the current building does not date back to this period, and there is evidence that the original inn was situated several hundred metres away. However, the main building was built around 1598, with the current façade added in 1872.
Finedon is in the Borough of Wellingborough, although many of the inhabitants are anxious to assert Finedon’s distinct identity and not be assimilated into the larger town of Wellingborough.